I'm fighting for small businesses struggling with rent debt accumulated during the pandemic. But my bill, AB 255, COVID Emergency Small Business Eviction Relief Act, was defeated on the Assembly floor by the powerful landlord lobby. Small businesses don’t have lobbyists with big PACs to lobby for their interests. But I will keep fighting for struggling small businesses.
Happy Pride Month!
I had the opportunity to meet Izzy Bacallao who’s idea to paint the Hermosa Beach lifeguard tower has transformed the South Bay. Thank you Izzy, PFLAG Manhattan Beach and to all the volunteers who helped spread acceptance and Pride.
Proud to coauthor SB 796 to return Bruce's Beach in Manhattan Beach to descendants of the Bruce family. It's time to right a wrong committed almost a hundred years ago when Willa and Charles Bruce and other Black property owners and residents were driven out of town. At the time, Bruce's Beach was one of only two beaches in the Los Angeles area where Black families were welcome for a day at the beach.
Thank you Kavon Ward of Manhattan Beach and others for organizing this event.
Palos Verdes Street Fair this weekend! Great family fun while supporting local small businesses. Thank you PV Chamber of Commerce president Eileen Hupp for working so hard to restart this tradition on the Hill!
Today the California Legislature passed a record $261.4 billion budget bill with $25.5 billion in reserves. Another significant milestone in the state’s road to recovery from the pandemic.
* $8.1 billion in tax cuts for California residents with incomes up to $75,000;
* $7 billion to invest in state broadband infrastructure to close the digital divide, which I fought for with my bill AB 34;
* $8.5 billion to fight homelessness;
* Record funding for our K-12 schools and community colleges, including increased funding for special education and mental health;
* $4 billion total funding this year for small business COVID relief grants;
* $8.4 billion to fight the effects of climate change, including wildfires, droughts, extreme heat, and sea level rise;
* Increased funding for child care;
* Increased UC funding to increase California resident admission slots, a cause that I’ve been fighting for years.
Update on my bills:
AB 1395, the California Climate Crisis Act, narrowly passed in the Assembly last Friday. This bill will fight climate change by establishing a roadmap for California to reach carbon neutrality by 2045. As Chair of the Joint Legislative Committee on Climate Change, this bill is one of my priorities.
Thank you to Speaker Rendon and joint author Cristina Garcia for your support!