Beginning early October, most California residents will start receiving cash refunds to help offset the higher costs caused by inflation. Funding for California's Better for Families Tax Refund* was part of this year's state budget. It provides an estimated $9.5 billion to approximately 17.5 million California families.
Determine your eligibility
You are eligible if you:
- Filed your 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021
- Meet the California adjusted gross income (CA AGI) limits described in the Tax Refund section
- Were not eligible to be claimed as a dependent in the 2020 tax year
- You are a California resident for six months or more of the 2020 tax year
- Are you a California resident on the date the payment is issued
When will I receive my refund?
The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) anticipates that 95% of all refunds will be distributed by the end of this year.
If you filed your 2020 taxes electronically:
Expect to receive your refund by direct deposit.
- Prior Golden State Stimulus I or II recipients – 10/7-10/25
- Other eFilers – 10/28-11/14
If you filed your 2020 taxes, standard USPS:
Expect to receive your refund via a debit card sent to your address on file with the FTB.
- Prior Golden State Stimulus I or II recipients – 10/25-12/10
- Remaining Tax Filers – Before 1/15/23
Contact the Franchise Tax Board's customer service representatives if you have further questions regarding this one-time payment at (800) 542-9332. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., or visit the website at ftb.ca.gov.
NOTE: To receive a refund, you must have completed a 2020 state tax return by October 15, 2021, and had earnings of no higher than $250,000 as a single filer or $500,000 as a joint filer.